Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Is a Design Good or Not?

Often this is a very subjective question.  Many times it is also based on function; Does it work?  If  a design is aesthetically pleasing, but does not function well it is not a good design. For the most part, I like simple forms.  I find them pleasing and have found that they sell well.  I have on occasion made a complex design, but find that they do not have same appeal.  People love to look at them, but don't buy them.

Is it a bad design if it doesn't sell?  For me it is.  Design to me is about producing something people will buy and that I find pleasing.  If I don't like a design on paper, it never makes to to production.  There have been pieces that made it to the production stage, that I have changed my mind about.  What looks good on paper doesn't always work.

Successful design for me incorporates the use space, line, balance, color, shape, texture and form to produce a functional piece of jewelry and one that is visually appealing.  Design should achieve harmony in the piece. All of the elements of design should work together to produce a piece that is comfortable to look at and comfortable to wear.  There are the pieces that are meant to catch your eye, but they need to have the same sense of balance to work.

I have never studied art or design.  I am self taught.  I believe I have a good sense of design and composition.  I have read on the subject and have learned some principles that I feel are somewhat natural.  As I said earlier, I often look to nature, and nature has an inherent sense of design.  I always ask for feedback.  Feedback to me is invaluable, it opens my eyes to my work in different ways.  Honest critiques of my work are the best.  I like to hear that my pieces are nice, but I would rather hear why they are or are not good designs.

So, if you have seen my work and have anything to say about them, please feel free to share your opinion.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment